Bass fishing is a popular recreational activity enjoyed by many people worldwide. While there are many different types of rigs used in bass fishing, the free rig is one of the most effective and versatile.
The free rig is a simple yet effective setup that can be used in a variety of fishing situations. In this article, we will discuss what the free rig is and how to fish it for bass fishing. If you are interested in The Drop Shot Rig, The Texas Rig, The Carolina Rig, The Neko Rig The Wacky Rig Also read them.
What is the Free Rig?
The free rig is a versatile fishing rig that allows for a lot of movement and flexibility. It consists of a weight, a hook, and a leader, with the hook and leader free to move independently of the weight. The weight is typically a bullet weight or a tungsten weight and is threaded onto the main fishing line. The hook is tied to a leader, which is then attached to the main line using a swivel.
How to Fish the Free Rig for Bass Fishing
- Choose the Right Equipment To fish the free rig, you will need a few essential pieces of equipment. A fishing rod with medium-heavy power and fast action is recommended for fishing with the free rig. The main fishing line should be at least a 10-15 pound test, with a leader of a 10-20 pound test. You will also need bullet weights or tungsten weights, hooks, and swivels.
- Rig and Start by threading the weight onto the main line, followed by a swivel. Tie a leader to the swivel, and then tie a hook to the other end of the leader. The length of the leader will depend on the type of fishing you are doing and the size of the bait you are using. For bass fishing, a leader length of 18-24 inches is recommended.
- Choose the Right Bait The free rig can be used with various baits, including soft plastics, live bait, and even hard baits. Soft plastic baits are a popular choice for bass fishing, as they allow for a lot of movement and flexibility.
- Cast and Retrieve To fish the rig cast your bait out and let it sink to the desired depth. Once the bait is at the desired depth, start a slow and steady retrieve. The rig allows for a lot of movement and flexibility, so experiment with different retrieve speeds and techniques to find what works best for you.
- Set the Hook When you feel a bite, set the hook with a quick and firm hook set. This rig allows for a lot of movement and flexibility, so it is essential to be fast and assertive when setting the hook.
Tips for Fishing the Free Rig for Bass
- Use the free rig in areas with structure and cover, such as weed beds, rocks, and drop-offs.
- Vary the retrieve speed and technique to imitate different types of baitfish.
- Experiment with different types and sizes of baits to find what works best for you.
- Use a sensitive rod with a fast tip to feel even the slightest bites.
- Be patient and persistent, as bass can be finicky and require some trial and error to catch.
The free rig is a versatile and effective rig for bass fishing that allows for a lot of movement and flexibility. With the right equipment, bait, and technique. The rig can be used to catch a variety of different types of bass in a variety of different fishing situations.
Remember to be patient and persistent, and to experiment with different techniques and baits to find what works best for you. With a little practice and some trial and error, you can become a skilled free rig angler and catch more bass than ever before.